What is an estate agent’s valuation?
“So what is my property going to sell for?”;
“What will buyers pay for my home?”; or
“What value do willing and able buyers, see in my home”;
are very important questions when considering to sell your home. It is so that a seller does dictate the price at which a home hits the market. It is also true that a seller must agree to sell their home at a price. In the minds of many sellers, this means that they not the buyer has the power.
But consider that from a buyer’s perspective things would appear as follows: they have multiple properties in multiple areas which they could purchase, they have the relative advantage in a balanced or buyer’s market, they tend to be acutely aware of what the market offers by way of value for money, they are not under pressure in the vast majority of cases to buy a specific property, and they realise that the listing price or price is only the starting point of negotiations.
A buyer also is very different from a seller in that the following factors, which may be key factors to a seller, do not affect the buyer (unless it provides the buyer with a negotiation advantage:
- What the seller thinks the property is worth;
- What the seller bought the property for;
- How much they spent on the property;
- What the seller needs to settle the bond (or meet other financial obligations);
- What the seller would like to realize to meet so goal (like buy another home);
Then comes the question, why do sellers find it so difficult to determine the likely price at which their property will?
I believe it’s because they, in most cases, have a very strong personal or emotional attachment to the home. It does, however, represent the biggest financial asset to many people or it may be the one thing offsetting a substantial home loan (and the anxiety many feel towards that a sizeable commitment).
This is why a professional estate agent, I assist my client by:
- providing key market information on recent sales and sales in progress;
- determine the threat posed by properties presently on the market;
- assisting with analytics;
- trend analysis (national, regional, metropolitan, suburb, and even to street level);
- analysis of value offered by the home (many times uncovering value);
- leveraging other professionals (like sworn valuers);
- collaborating with professional bodies;
- collating future area developments;
- assessing title deed provisions, servitude, and other legal factors;
- determining the viability of improvement to unlock further profits; and
- analyzing and predicting – based on buyer behaviour;
amongst many other factors.
As a professional real estate practitioner, I focus on the details which many overlook and this allows me to get a very clear idea of the property’s maximum price potential and the strategies and tactics will secure not only an optimal price but also on the best terms possible.
What is the process?
- Click on the link below and complete the form – it will request contact information – please provide the address of the property you would like valued in the comments section;
- My office or I will make contact with you to arrange a viewing – yes, I do need to see the property because so much value in a modern home lies in its finishes;
- We do the valuation which takes about 20 – 60 minutes depending on the home;
- I will prepare a valuation for you and it will be emailed to you, usually within 24 hours of the site visit;
- I do suggest that meet face to face to discuss the valuation because it is a means to an end, not the end in itself. The valuation allows you to make an informed decision and in that lies its value.
Having come from a legal background I see my role more as a trusted advisor rather than as merely a salesperson. This approach provides my clients with the benefits that they:
- Get frank and honest advice;
- They get the benefit of a thorough research and analytics;
- Our focus on the client relationship, rather than sales volumes means that advice is client focussed and not driven by chasing targets;
- My experience and qualifications provide peace of mind to clients that I have been tested and found competent;
- They have a professional in their corner.